Aguilar Branch The New York Public Library
East Harlem (El Barrio)
One of the oldest branch libraries in New York, the Aguilar Library was founded in 1886 and is named for Grace Aguilar, a Sephardic Jewish author. In 1905, when it became part of The New York Public Library, Aguilar was serving large Jewish and Italian immigrant populations. After World War II, an influx of Puerto Rican and other Spanish-speaking newcomers led to the creation of an extensive collection of materials in Spanish. Designed by architects Herts and Tallant, Aguilar was built with funds donated by Andrew Carnegie. The interior of the building features a graceful hanging gallery with a cast-iron railing and a pressed-glass floor. Aguilar was renovated in 1996 as part of the Library's Adopt-A-Branch program and is fully accessible to persons using wheelchairs. The branch has a Language Learning Center for adults, a computer lab that provides instruction in English for speakers of other languages.
Mon 1-6 Tue 10-6 Wed10-6 Thu 11-7
Fri Closed Sat 10-7 Sun Closed
Aguilar Language Learning Center
Mon 1-6 Tue 1-6 Wed 1-6 Thu 1-6
Fri Closed Sat 1-5 Sun Closed
visitingAguilar Branch The New York Public Library
174 East 110th Street
between Lexington & Third Aves.
New York, NY 10029
full map & directions
MTA: NYC transit
update this page
Plan Your ExperienceTours Mailing List Signup! favorite Favorites
- Blair M. Duncan, Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone New President and CEO
- U.S. Theatrical Premiere Run of " One October " Starts Today at Maysles Cinema
- read more...